Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Conundrum of the Day: Selling Out.

Okay, so technically as I write this it's 8/25, but this is my blog and I get to make the rules, so niener niener. My conundrum of the day has to do with selling out. I'm staring at the Blogger set up, and there's an entire tab for monetizing your blog. I'm still reeling over the fact that blogs can be monetized (I'm only starting a blog to ruin your circadian rhythms with my cracked out thoughts), and I wonder why the thought of monetizing seemed instantly distasteful. Don't get me wrong, I love tons of bloggers who have gone this route, including Dooce, Pioneer Woman, and many more besides. Yet the thought of doing so right now seems incredibly pretentious, like I'm assuming everyone will love my blog so much they will be unable to resist (which you will, just give it time). It seems to me that there is an optimal time here for monetizing one's blog:
It's undeniable that I'm at the asshole stage, should I decide to monetize, but my question then is this: when is the right time? Is it one of those things you feel, much like knowing when a conversation has become too awkward to live through, or knowing that you are about to humiliate yourself in public? Or is there an actual number of followers/amount of time I'm shooting for here?

No comments:

Post a Comment